Total Pageviews

Sunday 1 January 2012

Happy New Years Nutrition, and Damn My Chest is Huge

Best of 2012 for all of you folks. Let's hope the Mayans didn't have a hot clue about the future and that we continue on towards our own less prophecized oblivion in another 70 to 80 million years when the sun finally goes nova.

And on that cheery thought, it's time to talk nutrition!

Basically - given the girth of my belly - I am going to attempt a moderate Ketosis Plan with the goal of turning in a more gradual and ideally permanent fat loss product. Again, my overall goal is to be 260 pounds with approximately 10% bodyfat. Weighing in this morning at 290 pounds (holiday season, unsurprised at lack of weight loss) this gives me the target of 10 pounds a month to hit my goal by March 30th.

While this might seem like a drastic amount of weight in some respects, in my mind it's not that crazy. It's only a 10% reduction in my overall mass (someone closer to 200 pounds would be in a more drastic state tryign to shed this amount of fat).

Now when I say "moderate" ketosis plan it is because I have tried many times over the course of my training / wrestling life to do "zero carbs" with varying degrees of success. While depleting my carbohydrate intake to zero is certainly effective in the short term I find that prolonged use of this diet wreaks havoc on my energy levels. It's one thing to do this if your training plan consists of light exercise and the occassional ballgame, it's a whole 'nother animal when you are hitting the weights hard 4 to 5 times a week.

So between the energy loss, the end of day headaches and just the overall bitchiness - I gotta do something more logical.

Ideally, this is what an average consumption day will look like for me (allowing for variances, carb load days and even depletion days to shock the system)

* Whey Powder Shake with glutamine, multivitamins, Omega-3 tabs, glucosamine tabs, frozen berries and 1/2 cup oatmeal w/Splenda
* Eggs / Chicken / Fish with 2 cups veggies
* Pre-Workout Shake
* Post Workout Shake
* Beef/ Chicken / Fish with 2 cups veggies
* Optional extra shake / omelet / etc

In addition to this will be the occassional handful of nuts, fruits (dried and fresh) for snacking purposes as needed along with a minimum of 3 litres of water per day.

Ideally I want to be having a caloric intake that is 80% of my caloric output. In order to assist in my intake / output tracking I will be using the online resource Fit Day to help me keep track of me.

Yeah. So that's the plan. Here's what I did yesterday;

PRECOR X-Trainer 5 minutes Warmup
Incline Dumbbell Fly 4 x 12 (40 lbs)
Flat Bench Press 1 x 12 (135lbs); 2 x 6 (225 lbs); 2 x 8 (205 lbs); 1 x 10 (185 lbs) 60 second rest
Incline Dumbbell Press 1 x 6 (80 lbs); 1 x 7 (70 lbs); 1 x 8 (65 lbs); 1 x 10 (60 lbs) 30 second rest
Barbell Curl 4 x 5 (135 lbs) 60 second rest
Dumbbell Curl 4 x 6 (50 lbs) 60 second rest
Rising Cable Fly 3 x 12 ("50")
Super Set:
EZ Bar Curl 3 x (8 -10) (95 lbs) + Decline Cable Fly 3 x 12 ("50") NO REST

So yeah, I felt pretty damned jacked after all of that.

And pooped.

As always, thanks to the dozens (and dozens!) of you reading this blog. Hope you find it insightful in some way - or even just a good way to pass a few minutes and go "What is with this fatty? Who does he think he is??"

Either way, it's appreciated. Feedback welcome, positive and negative.

AK

Twitter
Facebook
Outlaw Gear !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment